Personal Profile – Callum Marks
I am a young, enthusiastic and ambitious professional with four years’ experience in commercial radio working on some of the UK’s biggest brands. My drive and eagerness to learn has given me the opportunity to develop my skills and knowledge in the radio industry. With experience in Programming, Production, Admin, Sales and Finance, I have immersed myself in radio in order to succeed in an industry I am passionate about. I also have a Full UK Driving License.
June 2014 – May 2016 | CommunicorpUK
• I transferred from RSL to CommunicorpUK in 2014 into the role of Admin/Programming/Finance Assistant. The role involved working across all three departments offering support and supporting both S&P and Digital teams too.
• Responsibilities included co-ordinating a full charity day of broadcasting on Real XS, this included on-air and online competitions, 6 OB’s and production of the live Evening Show special.
• I worked closely with the Smooth Radio North West programming team producing online content for both the website and social media channels, as well as providing production support when required.
• I worked with teams across the group to produce video and audio content for both the Programming and Commercial teams.
• I managed the XS Manchester website using Gusto, updating it with content including news, features, interviews and video.
• I promoted the stations social media accounts, and produced on-air programmes and content.
January 2013 to May 2014 | Real & Smooth Ltd
• I was offered the position of Programme Assistant at RSL at the beginning 2013. I worked across 3 radio brands, providing admin/production support, using audio editing software, using play out systems and assisting managers within the programming department.
• I received training on Myriad, Genesys and Adobe Audition. I also assisted in the production of shows on Real XS, including a 13-hour live outdoor broadcast.
• My final position at RSL was Agency Planner, this role gave me great insight into the commercial side of radio and I was able to gain experience of planning both on-air and digital campaigns and ensuring that they are successful once the campaign is underway.
August 2012 to December 2014 | Freelance Volunteer
• After completing my apprenticeship I undertook freelance work at Real and Smooth Radio, covering tech-op shifts and providing administrative support.
• I undertook volunteer work at Bolton FM, presenting my own weekly radio programme and also providing cover for other shows.
January 2012 to August 2012 | Person in Practice ATA
• I completed an Advanced Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media; my placement for this apprenticeship was at GMG Radio/Real and Smooth Ltd. As I completed this course I learnt how to work to deadlines and I developed my knowledge of the media industry including Ofcom regulations and compliance.
Education & Training
January 2012 – August 2012 (Pearson in Practice Academy, Manchester)
September 2006 – June 2011 (Hyde Technology School, Hyde)
Advanced Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media
Level 3 Diploma in Creative and Digital Media
Level 3 Certificate in Creative and Digital Media
Key Skills (Level 2)
• Application of Number
GCSE: (August 2011)
Maths – B
English Language – B
English Literature – B
Science – B
Additional Science – C
Music – C
Graphic Products – A
ICT – ABB
BTEC: (August 2011)
Music – Distinction* (Equivalent to A*A*A*A* at GCSE)
Sport – Distinction* (Equivalent to A*A* at GCSE)
Alongside my day job I have a keen interest in Event Management. Through various concerts and events I have organised I have managed to raise over £7,000 for charity as an individual effort, this total exceeds £10,000 if I include my involvement in group projects. My love of radio has given me the opportunity to work at community radio stations offering support to the teams.